Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Salt Roads

Author: Nalo Hopkinson
Published: 2003

Interesting tale that has three main characters, women of African descent, at three different time periods: late 1700's slave plantation in the carribean, late 1800's Paris, and then a real curveball into 300 AD, Middle East. There are also some gods which can take residence in the women. Very well written (I'm not doing it justice here, but then this isn't really an attempt to review books as much as keep track of them). I think it would have been more successful by just focusing on the two main characters without adding in the Middle East. On the other hand, I could be missing the point on that. One caution: contains very racy scenes which may challenge some people.

4 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

from Wikipedia:
'The Salt Roads received the Gaylactic Spectrum Award for positive exploration of queer issues in speculative fiction for 2004'.

Have you read Emma Bull's Bone Dance?

Todd Wheeler said...

Have not read Emma Bull. Good?

The gay sex was interesting, added to the characters, and certainly highlighted how uptight people have become, at least in the U.S.

Camille Alexa said...

Emma Bull is really good, though I've only read a few of her books. I really liked Finder, and I did read War for the Oaks.

Also, she's (very happily) married to Will Shetterly, and has done a couple great collaborations with Steven Brust (and others).

Todd Wheeler said...

I will seek out Emma Bull's work.

I should amend the comment above; I make it sound like it was just the physical act and not also the relationship between the women that was being described. The point being made, I think, was how it wasn't seen as a big deal by the community the women were in. Step outside of that community and then there are all kinds of biases to be dealt with.