Sunday, July 8, 2007

A Stainless Steel Rat Is Born

Author: Harry Harrison
Published: 1985

Packaged in a trilogy for the famous series, this book recounts the beginnings of James DiGriz, intergalactic rogue. Equal parts satire and silliness, the novel was very amusing. What I like about Harrison is he doesn't (in the two books I've read) write hard SF. No explanation of FTL, no excuses for mixing high tech with medieval style societies. It's just plain fun to read.

Maybe that's why I write in a similar way. I want to create something I'd want to read.

4 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

No explanation of FTL, no excuses for mixing high tech with medieval style societies. It's just plain fun to read.


A-freakin-men! I could care less about why humans wouldn't be able to survive long enough to get to another habitable planet**. Whatever.

People in my stories don't explain their engine propulsion or anything ('cause really; who cares, unless it's some cool piece of plot or essential to the storyline? I love cool science, too, but fiction is fiction. It's a weird conceit to dictate that speculative fiction must follow the rules of hard reality when it comes to telepathy and inter-stellar travel, but kooky alien lifeforms are permissible).

Elitist exclusionary bs turns off the general population to modern hard sf. I'm just saying.

____________________

** Actually, that could be a fascinating social s-f story.

Camille Alexa said...

I hope I don't get angry, scientifically-accurate hate mail for that last comment, Todd. Sorry.

Todd Wheeler said...

I think you're safe. Even in the public www, this is a tiny backwater that very few visit. ;-)

I'm all for different flavors of speculative fiction. Arguing about which is better or even which is which ('is this clock-punk/urban/vampire or steam-punk/edwardian/gothic?') seems counter-productive to the greater goal: more readers of genre fiction.

Camille Alexa said...

Agreed! I'm all for inclusionary bs!